OECD Report Finds that Education Systems Are Facing Increasing Challenges: The OECD Indicators of Education Systems (INES) program seeks to gauge the performance of national education systems as a whole. The framework distinguishes actors in education systems:
- Contextual factors: These include demographic, socio-economic, and political factors that influence education policy.
- Education policy and legislation: This includes the policies and laws that govern education systems.
- Inputs: These include the financial, human, and physical resources invested in education.
- Institutions: These include schools, colleges, universities, and other educational institutions.
- Classrooms: These are the settings where teaching and learning take place.
- Output: This includes the educational qualifications and skills that students acquire.
- Outcome: This includes the impact of education on students’ lives, such as their employment prospects and earnings.
- Impact: This includes the social and economic benefits of education for society as a whole.
The framework also shows that the time perspective is important for understanding the development of education systems. This framework can be used to analyze and compare education systems across countries and over time. It can also be used to identify areas where improvement is needed. For example, a country might want to focus on increasing the participation of students from disadvantaged backgrounds in education. Or, a country might want to invest more in teacher training.
The OECD Indicators of Education Systems program provides a rich and comparable data set that can be used to inform policy and practice in education. This report is divided into three main sections:
- Indicators of the output, outcomes, and impact of education systems: This section includes indicators on the educational attainment of the population, as well as the learning, economic, and social outcomes of education.
- Indicators of participation and progression within education entities: This section includes indicators on the enrolment, progression, and completion of students at each level and program.
- Indicators of the input into education systems or the learning environment: This section includes indicators on the financial, human, and physical resources invested in education, as well as the instructional setting of classrooms, pedagogical content, and delivery of the curriculum.
The report considers a number of contextual factors that influence education policy, such as demographics, socioeconomic status, and political factors.
The Education at a Glance report is a valuable resource for policymakers, practitioners, and researchers who are interested in improving education systems around the world. It provides insights into the performance of different education systems, as well as the challenges and opportunities that they face.
The OECD’s Education at a Glance 2023 report finds that education systems around the world are facing increasing challenges, such as rising inequality and rapid technological change. The report highlights the importance of investing in early childhood education and teacher training to help students succeed in the 21st century.
Read the full report to learn more about the challenges and opportunities facing education systems around the world.